Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves ( all those things that annoy you in a story, with book covers, bookstores, etc.)


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the blog The Broke and the Bookish. To participate, go here.
 
1. Stickers on books. 
I can't stand when book stores put any kind of sticker on the book, especially if its across the title or the description!
 
2. Library dust covers. 
Oh crinkly, clear, barely hanging on dust cover, how I despise you! I would gladly rip you off of my borrowed book but the librarian has decided to use an entire roll of scotch tape to try and hold you together and in place.

3. Covers that have nothing to do with the story! 
Why would a book about a drought in some landlocked place have a picture of the ocean on the cover? Good job illustrator, I can tell you read what the book was about before coming up with that awesome cover!

4. Names that require a pronunciation guide in the back of the book.
I don't mind some names that are a little tricky like Gaelic names but not every character needs to have some impossible name that I have to spend so much time trying to say that I give up and change it to my liking!

5. Overly describing everything in the story. 
I don't need to know the exact color of the tapestries in this room or that. I don't care if there is a side table next to the bed with a nick knack from the time you went to Disney Land with your grandparents. If it doesn't directly relate to what your trying to tell me I don't care!

6. Finding word errors and bad kindle copies. 
I can handle a few misspelled words here and there but if I'm constantly finding errors or words have been replaced with something that makes no sense then it gets a little annoying!
 
7. Stopping mid-chapter. 
I have a really hard time putting a book down if I'm mid-chapter. I can't just put a book down in the middle of a page or chapter...I just can't. My husband, who doesn't really read much, just can't seem to understand this!
 
8. Trilogies or series with a wonky book thrown in. 
I love when I read a really good book and find out there are more books to continue the story. What I don't like is when one of the books is just kind of there, it might have one or two characters from the previous books but has nothing to really do with them.
 
9. Too tight spine. 
I want to be able to fully open my book not have to wrestle with it to see the words close to the spine.
 
10. Rushed endings. 
The ending of a book is one of the most important parts to me. It can leave you feeling fully satisfied or it can leave you feeling like you must have grabbed a bad copy that missed the last few chapters or something. There is nothing more disappointing that reading a great book and coming to the end and feeling like it just didn't live up to the rest of the book.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I am totally with you on several of these. Rushed endings and books with tight spines drive me nuts. :) Likewise, cover art that doesn't fit the book.

    I worked in text development once and learned how the garbled text happens in some ebooks. Someone scans the pages of a hard copy book with a photo scanner that recognizes individual letters, but sometimes the machine doesn't get the letters right. For a free or 99 cent ebook, I understand if they didn't pay a proofreader to go through and correct all that. But if the book is full cost, that's a very different story. :) And you're right--it's always annoying to read.

    ReplyDelete