Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

The Hollow by Jessica Verday                                                    
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Publication Date: October 1, 2009
Page Count: 513

Description from Goodreads:
When Abbey’s best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead…and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey has never felt so desperately alone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen’s funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey’s life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he’s the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen’s betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.


I was really excited to read this book. I like the cover and the story sounded interesting. After reading about 5 pages though I had to stop and set the book down. I just couldn't stay focused on it. The next day I came back to it and decided to give it one more chance, and I'm glad I did. While the beginning is pretty darn slow, it eventually picks up...not a lot but enough to keep you reading. 

Abbey's best friend Kristen just died but no one really knows how it all happened. She struggles through people talking bad about Kristen, and coping with losing her best friend; her only friend really. Abbey meets a mysterious boy Caspian and they share a mutual attraction but it is pretty clear he is keeping a secret of his own. There is alot of back and forth with Abbey and Caspian. She wants so badly for them to be together but he pulls away, then can't help himself and is drawn back to her...repeatedly. At the end you find out Caspian's secret and Abbey has a sort of nervous breakdown. 
  
There were parts were I really felt for Abbey and what she was going through with her best friend dying, her  controlling but loving mother, her finding love and losing it, and then the whopper of a secret that she finds out about Caspian! I loved how she made perfume throughout the story, I could picture her sitting there trying to find the perfect scents. I could almost smell them!

Overall I think, while a little slower paced, this book was pretty good and worth checking out. I'll be reading the next book in the series, The Haunted.  I hope the story will pick up where it left off as I felt that it was just starting to get really good! I'll cross my fingers for faster paced too! I hope you give this book a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment